Eid Special 2015
Venue: Holiday Inn M4 Reading
Date: Friday 31st July 2015 | 6:30pm
Tickets: £20 / £25 / VIP
We celebrated Eid in style with displaying INSAAN’s activities over some of the past few months, helping to tackle the taboo and bring our community together with your most kind support.
For more on our performing Artist:
On Friday 31st July, we hosted the long-awaited ‘Eid Special’ – celebrating Eid with an evening of fun-filled family entertainment with delicious cuisine at the Holiday Inn, Winnersh. The guest list included media personalities from the likes of Venus TV, Soch TV & Prime TV to businessmen, writers, charity workers, local dignitaries, including Parry Batth (the Mayor of Wokingham), the fabulous Reading residents and of course, some of our Special families. The star attraction was classically-trained, young Pakistani artist Shujat Ali Khan, grandson of the legendary musical maestro Ustad Salamat Ali Khan, son of Ustad Sharafat Ali Khan and nephew of Ustad Shafqat Ali Khan. INSAAN wanted to raise awareness and acceptance for children with special needs in our community and promote awareness of what INSAAN has done to help.
The evening was hosted by the wonderful Dr Farzana Abid, a Consultant Psychiatrist who is also the lead on the INSAAN Health Advisory Panel. Opening the program with talawat (recital) in Arabic and English translation was Dr Ejaz Elahi, former Chairman of Reading Council for Racial Equality (RCRE) and currently a member of the Independent Monitoring Board at Heathrow.
He was followed on the podium by Farhat Khan, an established writer and poetess, who presented a short poem written especially to mark the occasion. INSAAN Co-chairperson, Dr Asif Butt then gave a brief account of the activities the charity has been engaged with since inception two years ago. He emphasized, in particular, the need for the wider community to be more accepting and supportive of our fellow citizens who have to cope with disability on a daily basis.
Dr Butt commented: “Sadly, disability, in general, remains a taboo subject within the Pakistani community. It is discussed very little due to the associated social stigma.” In order to overcome such challenges, part of the strategic plan adopted by INSAAN is to raise awareness about disability through regular public meetings and information dissemination by exploiting social media. Local schools, statutory bodies, service providers and other local charities have welcomed the INSAAN initiative and have been very encouraging in their support.
In the words of the Guest of Honour, Mayor of Wokingham, Parry Batth: “INSAAN is making a real difference to the lives of those families with Special and Additional Needs. Dr Butt and his team at INSAAN have my full support.”
The after-dinner vote of thanks was delivered by prominent businessman, TV host, political analyst and INSAAN Chair of Trustees, by Mr Raza Ahmed, who also touched on the controversial topic of consangineous marriage and genetic defects in the newborn, and thanked the Mayor for giving up his time generously to support INSAAN.
Our Treasurer Asaf Saleem presented our exciting chance for our guests to win our 20 unique and sought-after prizes – ranging from signed Amir Khan gloves, to scuba-diving for a family of 4, paint-balling for 10 people, and vouchers for various retail outlets and restaurants such as Las Iguanas. The Reading community were very generous in their donations.
After the formalities were over, the guests were introduced to the main act of the night. Pakistan-based performer, Shujat Ali Khan and his virtuoso band wowed us with his amazing vocal talents, covering all music genres from Qawwali, Sufi/folk and Bollywood. It was a truly sizzling performance, unlike anything Reading has seen or heard before. Shujat inherited the special talent for music. Coming from the Sham Chaurasi gharana, his lineage has been serving classical music for the last 500 years. Shujat is the 12th Generation of singers from this lineage. He is representing his family in the 21st Century through sufi/Qawwali, classical music and Bollywood. Currently Shujat Ali Khan is making his name around the world, stretching from the UK to the USA, and across to places like U.A.E and Thailand. Shujat recently participated in a popular reality TV show called Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge and made his recognition as a unique and talented singer – gaining immense praise by great singers Lata Mangeshkar and Himesh Reshammiya.
The audience was totally captivated as he blasted out hit after hit, as well as granting popular requests from the floor. As the evening drew to a close, INSAAN Media and Marketing Director and Events Co-ordinator, Mr Shamus Butt, expressed his gratitude and appreciation by extending an open invitation to Shujat when he is next back in the UK.
Finally, the last word goes to INSAAN Patron, Alok Sharma, MP for Reading West and Vice-Chairman of the Conservative Party: “I am very proud to be involved with INSAAN as its patron. The charity does fantastic work supporting families and children with disability issues and also raising important issues related to disability. My heart-felt thanks to the whole INSAAN team for the real difference that they are making to individual lives. Now that the charity is established, I want to work with its Trustees in helping to raise knowledge about INSAAN and its excellent work at a national level.”
Our greatest thanks go to all our supporters who were able to attend to support our charity cause, our friends for spreading our heart-felt message to the wider community, and Shujat Ali Khan for providing his world-class entertainment and support of INSAAN.
It is with all YOUR help that we succeed in helping families facing disability.
Shujat Ali Khan is a hugely popular Pakistani artist – he is the grandson of legendary classical singer Ustad Salamat Ali Khan and son of the late contemporary classical singer Maestro Sharafat Ali Khan (late) and nephew of Ustad Shafqat Ali Khan.
Coming from Sham Chaurasi Gharana, which was founded in the 16th century by Mian Chand Khan and Mian Suraj Khan who were contemporaries of Mian Tansen at the court of Mughal Emperor Akbar. Sham Chaurasi Gharana serving classical music since 500 years back.
Shujat inherited the special talent for music. His grandfather Salamat Ali Khan and maternal grandfather, Nazakat Ali Khan were rated among the top classical singers.
Shujat Ali Khan is the 12th generation of Sham Chaurasi Gharana.
Ustad Salamat Ali khan was his early guru, then after his death Shujat started to learn music from his father Ustad Sharafat Ali Khan (late) and his uncle Ustad Shafqat Ali Khan.
Shujat Ali Khan is a leading classical singer and is representing his family as a trained classical and sufi singer. Currently Shujat Ali Khan is making his name in sufi classical music with his band around the world, such as UK, USA, Switzerland, U.A.E, India and Thailand.
Shujat Ali Khan recently participated in a popular reality show for India’s Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge in 2009 and made his recognition as a unique and talented singer – getting praise by great singers Asha Bhosle and Himesh Reshammiya. He is now working with global producers such as Rishi Rich and now making his way into the Pakistani movie industry.
By purchasing a ticket, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
1) Tickets cannot be replaced if it is lost, stolen or destroyed, and is valid only for the event (and seat) for which it is issued.
2) Tickets are not transferrable or redeemable for cash. Tickets can be emailed to the purchaser upon request.
3) Reproduction of tickets are not permitted.
4) Unless indicated otherwise, all prices set are inclusive of any applicable taxes but exclusive of any booking fee and collection or delivery fee for sales and/or cash discounts (if available).
5) Tickets are a revocable license and admission may be refused upon refunding the face amount of the ticket.
6) Unauthorized or unlawful resale or attempted resale is grounds for seizure and cancellation without compensation.
7) Management reserves the right, without the refund of any portion of the ticket purchase price, to refuse admission or to eject any person who fails to comply with the rules of the venue and applicable laws.
8) No refunds/exchange policy.
9) Ticket user assumes all risks of personal injury incidental to the event, whether occurring prior to, during, or subsequent to the event. Ticket purchaser bears all risks of inclement weather.
10) Tickets may not be used for advertising, promotion (including contests and sweepstakes) or other trade purposes without the express written consent of INSAAN. Promotional materials such as flyers, posters etc may be used for advertising.
11) Ticket user consents to use of his/her image or likeness incidental to any video display, transmission or recording of the event by venue, artist or promoter.
12) WARNING-EXCESSIVE EXPOSURE TO LOUD MUSIC MAY BE DAMAGING TO YOUR HEARING.
NOTE – FOR THOSE PURCHASING TICKETS FOR DISABLED INDIVIDUALS:
- INSAAN is able to provide a Disability Discount code for disabled attendees.
- Complimentary Disability Discount codes are valid for discount on up to 2 TICKETS (one for the individual and one for 1 parent/carer). These will be checked upon entry.
- Please contact us via the button below to send an email to request a code.
- Codes will ONLY be provided upon proof of disability to our email. You may a scan an official document (Certificate of Entitlement etc.) and attach via the link below by email. All copies will be destroyed after the event.